This is a great quick Mediterranean style kebab recipe that doesn’t require a grill. Kabob tabei is a popular Persian dish with several variations. I like to smother my kabob tabei in tomato sauce, it adds delicious flavor and keeps the meat tender. It takes about 30 minutes from start to finish and goes well served with rice or pita type bread with fresh herbs.
Begin by grating half a medium to large sized onion. You’ll need to squeeze as much excess fluid from the grated onion as you can. You can do this by either using a cheesecloth or just use your hands (that’s my method!).
In a large bowl, combine grated onion, ground beef, salt, pepper, paprika, and turmeric and mix by hand until well combined. Heat about 1-2 tbs olive oil in a skillet on high heat. Shape the ground beef mixture into a large ball and begin to flatten into a big pancake shape with your hands. Carefully put the meat into the hot skillet and continue flattening the meat into a flat round disk that fills the pan. Let cook on medium heat until edges look brown, about 4-5 minutes. Using a knife, carefully cut the disk into 4-5 slices and flip each slice over to cook the other side. Pour tomato sauce on top of the meat and cover with tomato quarters and peppers. Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer an additional 15 minutes or so.
I served my kabob tabei over white basmati rice infused with some saffron. Goes well with cold Greek yogurt or a crisp salad. Enjoy!
Until next time!
Kabob Tabei Recipe
- 1 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, grated and drained of fluids
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1-2 Roma tomatoes, quartered
- 4-5 small sweet peppers
- 1tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1-2 tbs olive oil
- Grate onion and drain excess fluid using a cheesecloth or you hands
- Add grated onion, ground beef, salt, pepper, paprika, and turmeric in a large bowl and mix by hand until well combined
- Heat olive oil in skillet on high heat
- Shape meat mixture into a large ball and flatten by hand into a pancake shape
- Carefully add meat to the hot skillet and continue to flatten and shape the meat into a flat disk that fills the entire pan
- Let cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until edges look cooked and brown
- Use a knife to cut the meat into 4-5 long slices and flip each slice over to cook the other side.
- Pour tomato sauce over the kebabs and add quartered tomatoes and sweet peppers.
- Cover and reduce heat to low
- Let simmer for 10-15 minutes
- Serve over rice or with pita bread