I can’t believe it’s already March! It feels like February just few by, but we’re finally approaching my favorite time of year. Spring is just around the corner and I’m super excited! I’m so looking forward to some warmer weather too, it’s been too cold this year. I have a lot of really great ideas and recipes planned for this season. Persian New Year is also in the month of March, which is a time for some delicious and exotic dishes I only make once a year. Lots to look forward to!
To start out the month, I wanted to make something that I’ve always loved but haven’t made since even before my son was born. Not sure why, it just fell out of rotation and I forgot about it I guess. But after how yummy dinner was last night, this recipe is definitely back on the list.
Italian zucchini boats are a great low carb meal that’s so good and satisfying, it won’t even feel like you’re eating healthy! It’s super easy too and can be ready in about 45 minutes.
Wash 4-5 zucchini’s, cut the ends off, and slice in half lengthwise. With a spoon, gently scrape out the seeds and center of each zucchini and set aside the scrapings. Line a baking dish with the zucchini boats.
Dice one medium onion, mince two cloves of garlic, and give the zucchini scrapings a good rough chop. Heat some oil in a large sauté pan. Sauté the onions and garlic until translucent. Add in the ground turkey and cook on medium high heat with the onions and garlic. Drain any excess fluids or fat. Add in the zucchini scrapings, salt, pepper, paprika, and Italian seasoning and sauté another few minutes. Pour in a 1/4 cup of Italian breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup of marinara sauce and mix until combined and sauce is heated through. Fold in 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella until evenly distributed and gooey. Taste test to make sure you don’t need any more seasoning.
Stuff the zucchini boats with the ground turkey filling. Pour marinara sauce around the boats and drizzle more sauce on top. Pop in the oven and bake uncovered for 35 minutes. Remove baking dish from oven and sprinkle more mozzarella cheese on top. Put back in the oven for another 3-4 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Serve hot over some rice or quinoa. Super yummy! And my little one loved this recipe too, awesome way to get him to eat zucchini.
Looking forward to sharing some of my favorite recipes with you this month! Until next time.
Italian Zucchini Boat Recipe
- 4-5 Zucchini’s
- 1 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1-2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Wash zucchini, cut off ends, and slice in half lengthwise.
- With a spoon, carefully scrape out the seeds and center of each zucchini half. Put the zucchini scrapings on a cutting board and give them a rough chop and set aside.
- Lightly grease a baking or casserole dish and line with a single layer of the zucchini boats.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan and add onions and garlic. Sauté until fragrant and translucent.
- Add ground turkey in with the onions and garlic and cook on medium high heat for 5-7 minutes or until cooked through. Drain any excess liquid or fat.
- Add chopped up zucchini scrapings in with the ground turkey and season with salt, pepper, paprika, and Italian seasoning.
- Pour 1/4 cup marinara sauce and the Italian bread crumbs into the mixture and combine until sauce is heated through. Fold in 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese and mix until evenly distributed and gooey.
- With a spoon, scoop the turkey mixture into the zucchini boats until no more is left.
- Pour marinara sauce around the zucchini boats and drizzle some on top (not too much or it’ll be too soggy!).
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese on top and return to oven for additional 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Serve hot over rice or quinoa.