Kale and eggs. Sounds pretty bland and boring, but take my word for it, this recipe is pretty stellar. The best part about it, other than being super healthy and loaded with antioxidants, iron, and nutrients, is that you can eat it at any time of day. Great for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner! You can whip up this light yet satisfying, on-pan meal in less than 15 minutes too! Perfect for when you’re in a hurry and need a quick energy boost.
I start by mincing some garlic and chopping up some mushrooms and tomatoes. I like to use the sweet cherry tomatoes for recipes like this. I find them easier to prepare, and they don’t get as mushy when cooked. Heat oil on high heat in a saute pan. Make sure the pan you’re using has comes with a lid. Add your minced garlic and mushrooms and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Continue to stir on high heat until the garlic bits turn brown and slightly crispy. I like the slightly burnt garlic bits, they give a different texture and slight crunch to the sauteed kale. Kind of like a healthy alternative to croutons!
Turn down the heat and add in a heaping bunch of pre-packaged kale. Using pre-packaged saves you time on chopping and is a great option for cooking quick recipes like this one. Drizzle some additional oil on top of the kale, along with some salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Fold and gently stir until kale is well coated in oil and seasoning and mushrooms and garlic are mixed in with the kale leaves. Crack your eggs over top of the bed of kale and mushrooms and add chopped tomatoes around the perimeter of the saute pan. You can choose to sprinkle some additional salt and peppers on the eggs if you’d like.
Cover the pan and reduce heat to medium-low and keep an eye on the eggs. You want the white part cooked, and the yellow still runny. This happens relatively quickly, about 2-4 minutes. Serve immediately and enjoy! You can rest well knowing you treated your body well with this versatile and healthy meal.Until next time! XoXo Mina
Kale and Egg Recipe
- 2-3 cups pre-packaged and pre-washed kale
- 3 oz cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 oz mushrooms, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp pepper, divided
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1-2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 large eggs
- Heat 1 tbs olive oil in saute pan. Make sure the pan you’re using has a lid that fits.
- Once oil is hot, add minced garlic and mushrooms and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Saute on high heat until garlic bits turn slightly golden brown.
- Reduce heat to medium and add kale.
- Drizzle remaining olive oil over the kale and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Stir slowing making sure to coat kale evenly with oil and seasoning and distribute mushrooms and garlic.
- Crack eggs on top of kale and add tomatoes around the perimeter of the pan. Add additional salt and pepper to eggs if desired.
- Cover with lid and let eggs steam for 2-4 minutes until whites are cooked and yellow part is still runny.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!