A good hearty bowl of chili on a cold winter evening is the ultimate comfort food. Being able to get the meal on the table in 30 minutes makes it even better! I’ve tried a ton of different chili recipes over the years, but this one stands out above the rest just because it’s loaded with veggies making it a healthy, but satisfying, weeknight dinner for the whole family.
Start out by prepping all your veggies. Chop up your celery, carrots, onions, garlic, and jalapeños – the finer the dice the better. You can add extra jalapeño if you like your chili spicy! Sauté over high heat in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add dried crushed bay leaves and thyme and continue to sauté until fragrant.
Add crumbled ground beef to vegetable mixture. Once the meat is browned, season the beef and veggies with salt, pepper, chili powder, and paprika and stir until evenly coated. Add canned diced tomatoes, chili beans, and broth and bring to a boil. I’ve used both beef broth and chicken broth for this recipe and they both turn out great. After the the pots boiled for a couple minutes, reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes covered. Taste test the chili and add any extra seasoning as needed.
Chili isn’t chili without some yummy toppings. I like to serve my chili with freshly chopped parsley and onions with some shredded cheese. I used mozzarella this time, but cheddar is my favorite. You could also top off with a dollop of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt to give it some extra creaminess. Pair with some hot crusty bread or corn bread and enjoy!
- 1 lbs lean ground beef
- 1-2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeño, de-seeded and diced (add more for extra kick!)
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme, crushed
- 1/8 tsp dried bay leaves, crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can chili beans
- 2 cups broth (chicken or beef)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Heat oil in large pot or Dutch oven over high heat.
- Add celery, carrots, onion, garlic, jalapeño, crushed bay leaves, and thyme. Sauté until fragrant.
- Add ground beef and sauté with vegetables until browned.
- Season meat and veggie mixture with salt, pepper, paprika, and chili powder. Stir until evenly coated.
- Add diced tomatoes, chili beans, and broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 25 minutes or until veggies are soft.