Potlucks are always fun, but figuring out what dish you want to contribute can be stressful. Ideally, you’d want something relatively easy to make, something that looks good, tastes good, and feeds a lot of hungry folks! We’re headed to a Potluck tonight, so I knew I wanted to make something that checked off all those boxes, but was also a show stopper!
I first found this crispy potato roast recipe here, but wanted to make a vegetarian version to accommodate some of the guests that will be at the party. I also used this Prepworks by Progressive Adjust-A-Slice and Julienne Mandoline to slice up the potatoes. This way you get a nice, even slice much faster than I could if I were to slice by knife. Just watch your fingers! I’ve cut my fingers more times than I can count with this thing, but that doesn’t keep me from using it ALL the time!
Select the dish you’d like to put the potatoes into and measure out how many russet potatoes will fill the dish. Usually about 10-12 potatoes will fill a standard baking or casserole dish. Peel and thinly slice all the potatoes and place into the lightly greased baking dish. Thinly slice one small onion and tuck the onion slices in between the potato slices as evenly throughout the dish as you can. Mix some melted butter, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a separate dish and evenly pour over the potatoes and onions.
Bake in a preheated oven, lightly covered in foil, for about 45 minutes. Remove foil and drizzle with some olive oil. Continue to bake for another hour. While the potatoes cook, melt some butter and mix with grated Parmesan cheese, Italian bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Remove potatoes from oven, baste with any butter and oil mixture from the bottom of the dish, and sprinkle Parmesan cheese mixture evenly on top. Bake another 30 minutes or until crispy on top. Serve garnished with parsley for some added freshness and color.
Crispy Parmesan Roasted Potatoes Recipe
- 10-12 Russet Potatoes, peeled
- 1 Small Onion
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, for potatoes
- 2 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter, for Parmesan topping
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Salt, for potatoes
- 1 Tsp Salt, for Parmesan topping
- 1 Tsp Pepper, for potatoes
- 1 Tsp Pepper, for Parmesan Topping
- 1 Tbs Italian Bread Crumbs
- 2 Tbs Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Wash, peel, and slice potatoes and place in lightly greased baking dish.
- Thinly slice onion and evenly tuck onion slices into the potato slices throughout the dish.
- Melt 3 tbs butter and mix with 1 tbs olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper. Pour over the potatoes and onions in baking dish.
- Lightly cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and drizzle remaining 1 tbs olive oil over the potatoes and continue baking for another hour.
- While potatoes are cooking, melt 2 tbs butter and mix in the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mixture should look nice and crumbly.
- Evenly sprinkle Parmesan mixture over the top of the potatoes and continue baking for another 30 minutes or until crispy on top.
- Garnish with parsley before serving (optional).
*This post includes affiliate links. I would receive a small commission on any purchases made through links found on this site. Thanks for your support!